Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Google Scholar in the delivery room

Being aware of your surroundings during major surgery is kind of interesting. During a c-section, they hang a sheet between your upper chest and the rest of your body so that you can't see the actual procedure. However, you can look around from side to side and there is a lot of activity going on around you everywhere, including directly behind your head.

I could hear the anesthesiologist and his resident going over the spinal they had just given me--lots of back and forth questions. They must have been looking at a computer screen because, at some point, the anesthesiologist was going over a study he had pulled up. I didn't hear any questions about the study, but I did hear the resident ask him what he was using to search for the study. I could hear the anesthesiologist explain that he had used Google Scholar and that it was like Google only it searched medical studies and other research material. They were directly behind me at that point, so I couldn't join in the conversation, but as I was wheeled from the Operating Room to the recovery area (while they had to take Josie away briefly and we were just waiting around) I said, "Hey, were you talking about Google Scholar in there?"

They looked surprised that I had heard them and said "Uh, yes...why?" I asked them whether or not they knew they could connect Google Scholar to Northwestern University's electronic journal databases using the "Scholar Preferences" feature. They perked up and said they hadn't realized that and, it sounded to me anyway (Jack was not as convinced), that they were going to go and try out this new Google trick. Jack just said in explanation "She's a librarian" and they nodded their heads in understanding.

Then they brought in Josephine and all thoughts of Google Scholar and other research tools went out the window.

PS For those non-librarian readers of this blog who might not have been aware of Google Scholar, you, too, can point it to any library collections you might have access to (if you're affiliated with a college or university).

PPS OK, that's it for now on this not-very-Josie-related post. I swear that I am not paid to give Google Scholar testimonials or training sessions.

3 comments:

soo said...

Oh, Celia. Did you also ask them if you could borrow their computer to check your work email?
Yours in Google love,
Sue

Arlie said...

Celia, I guess with you it's not just a profession, it's a way of life! This story made me laugh and say, "Yes, that's Celia alright!"

Glad you have a happy new obsession to take your mind off work, though!

Arlie

The Fifty Foot Blogger said...

I see a conference poster out of this...kidding! Seriously, there has to be a category of librarian story on strangest situation in which one offers research assistance.

elisa