Friday, March 28, 2008

Hospital stay: Take 2

Jack and Josie and I returned from the hospital late tonight for the second time in less than a week. Here's why I now realize that just because Josie has arrived does not mean that the pregnancy woes are over:

Yesterday (Wednesday), I went to the emergency room with some bleeding from my incision and was told I had to be admitted overnight so that they could fix what was going on. Not only do I have swelling on top of my swelling now, I also have some issues with post-natal blood pressure related to the preeclampsia. Apparently the swelling/blood pressure thing is so bad that there is not only swelling showing up on my outsides, but things are swelling inside as well. Not to get too graphic, but that internal swelling caused some of my stitches to rupture, meaning that my incision was not closing as it should.

My external stitches were undone and I was "repacked" and then hooked up to this thing called a wound vac which will help to speed up the healing process. Unfortunately, "speed up" still means I have to stay attached to this machine constantly for at least two to four weeks. The wound vac is about the size of a small radio and I can carry it around in this black bag over my shoulder. It will limit my mobility for the next couple of weeks and I have to have a visiting nurse come by every few days to repack everything.

This is not how I pictured my beginning days of motherhood.

It could be worse, though. I'm so glad everything is fine with Josie and it's me who is having to deal with these issues. Also, there was no infection, so the healing process shouldn't take as long as it could. For now, we're just glad to be home.

2 comments:

The Fifty Foot Blogger said...

Love that picture of her and daddy.

Celia said...

Yes...you can see the mutual infatuation. Also, you can see the cat brush...don't worry, we didn't use it on Josie.